Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.

Lead Rrp Certification Training in Atlanta


Why do I need to complete this training?

  • The new EPA rules state that any contractor participating on renovation projects, on buildings, or spaces that were built before 1978 must get certified under the guidelines of the Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Rule or they will face fines of $37,500 per day that they are working in a qualified space. This includes commercial painters as well as home painting and repair. 

What do I have to do to become a certified Renovator? 

  • Successful completion of an accredited renovator training course.‚Äč


  • Successful completion of an accredited refresher Renovator Training course if the individual previously completed an accredited abatement worker or supervisor course, or has completed an EPA, HUD, or EPA/HUD model renovation training course (commonly known as Lead Safe Work Practices). Proof of prior training must be submitted and verified by the training provider.

Other than training, what else do I need in order to be in compliance?

  • In addition to training, your firm must become an accredited Renovation Firm by applying to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (if working outside of Georgia) and the GA EPD. You must have both the training certificate and the firm certificate present on all qualifying job sites. There are additional application fees for these certifications. Please call the GA EPD help desk for more information at 404.363.7026

How long is the accreditation good for?

  • In Georgia: Individuals performing RRP work in Georgia must register with the Georgia EPD. (Georgia Renovator Application) The fee is $150, and it is valid for 3 years. In addition, Renovators must work under a Georgia-certified firm.  (Georgia Firm Application) The fee for firms is $125 for 1 year, or $300 for 3 years.   EPA-Accredited Firms will have to re-apply for re-certification every 5 years. To maintain individual certification, a person must go through an accredited refresher course every 5 years.

Question:    What are the responsibilities of a firm?

  • In addition to obtaining a Renovation Firm License, firms performing renovations must ensure that:
  1. All persons performing renovation activities are certified renovators or have received on-the-job training by a certified renovator;
  2. A certified renovator is assigned to each renovation performed by the firm;
  3. and All renovations are performed in accordance with applicable work practice standards.

Do all of my workers have to go through this training?

  • It depends - if you work on HUD or other government projects, you MAY need to have all workers certified. If this applies to you, please contact your Client or local jurisdiction to see what their requirements are. If your project is not HUD or government, there is only one certified Renovator required at your company but you must give on the job training to other persons performing renovation activities. In addition, you are required to maintain records of this training. Remember: a certified Renovator must be assigned to each renovation project, so you will likely need more than one certified Renovator if you have multiple jobs going on simultaneously.

Is painting considered renovation if no surface preparation activity occurs?

  • No. If the surface to be painted is not disturbed by sanding, scraping, window replacement, or other activities that may cause dust, the work is not considered renovation and the EPA's or Authorized State's lead program requirements do not apply. However, painting projects that involve surface preparation that disturbs paint, such as sanding and scraping, would be covered.

What if I renovate my own home?

  • The RRP lead program rules apply only to renovations performed for compensation; therefore, if you work on your own home, the rules do not apply. EPA encourages homeowners to use lead-safe work practices, nonetheless, in order to protect themselves, their families, and the value of their homes.

Is a renovation performed by a landlord or employees of a property management firm considered a compensated renovation under the RRP lead program rules?

  • Yes. The receipt of rent payments or salaries derived from rent payments is considered compensation under EPA's lead program. Therefore, renovation activities performed by landlords or employees of landlords are covered.

Do I have to give out the lead pamphlet 7 days prior to beginning renovation activities?

  • The 7-day advance delivery requirement applies only when you deliver the lead pamphlet by mail; otherwise, you may deliver the pamphlet anytime before the renovation begins as long as the renovation begins within 60 days of the date that the pamphlet is delivered. For example, if your renovation is to begin May 30, you may deliver the pamphlet in person anytime between April 1 and start of the project on May 30, or you may deliver the pamphlet by mail anytime between April 1 and May 23.

Who enforces the rule?

  • US EPA is the enforcing agency. In addition, EPA has the authority to authorize states, tribes and territories to administer their own RRP program that would operate in lieu of the EPA regulations. Currently the following states have been authorized by EPA and may have different compliance requirements from the federal program: Alabama, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Utah, Washington, and Wisconsin.